We might be biased, but we feel that we live in one of the best areas of the country. Within easy distance of the rugged and stormy north coast, famed for its surfing beaches and adventure activities, the gentle and peaceful south coast which offers great fishing, and a relaxed and calmer style. Inland are two beautiful national parks offering stunning moorland, winding rivers and ever changing scenery. Yet, we still have the benefit of the modern cathedral city of Exeter right on our doorstep which offers a tremendous range of shopping facilities, schooling, railway and air transport links. The city is steeped in history, with its great Roman wall, contrasting beautifully with the Princesshay shopping development and new foodhalls in the Guildhall. There is a delightful Quay perfect for quiet city walks, or a coffee while you read the paper.
Read on to find out more about the local towns and villages that we primarily serve.
Bow is a historic village located on the Crediton to Okehampton Road. According to the 2011 census there was a population of just over 1000. The village grew in the mid 1800’s following two fires that destroyed a large part of the nearby hamlet of Nymet Tracey, which then consisted of about 70 properties.
The local church is still situated in Nymet Tracey and is believed to have been built by William de Tracy as a penance for the murder of Thomas Beckett (St Thomas of Canterbury). The name Nymet Tracy comes from the de Tracy family, whilst Nymet is the Celtic word for Sacred Grove, and indeed a wood henge believed to date from the 3rd millennium BC lies just west of Bow, and was discovered in the mid 1980s. Interestingly, the River Yeo also runs through the bottom of the village, and this river used to be called the Nymet.
These days, Bow is a popular family village with a primary school, garden centre and Coopeative mini supermarket. It is well placed for the A30 dual carriageway and links to Cornwall as well as the M5. There is a modern doctors surgery and local village pub.
Copplestone is a large village some five miles from Crediton. It is a settlement that grew around the Copleston Cross; a granite pillar believed to be the surviving shaft of a decorated late saxon cross. This village has grown rapidly in size in recent years and now offers a real mix of old and new properties very popular with families who are attracted by the local primary school which has an Outstanding OFSTED report, and easy links to Crediton and Exeter. The Tarka Line railway runs through the centre of the village and there is a station servicing regular trains between Barnstaple and Exmouth through Exeter where you can change for mainline services.
The village has a mini supermarket and post office, village pub and Methodist church.
Crediton is an ancient market town aqnd civil parish located in the heart of the county, and with a population of just under 8000. It is famed as the birthplace of St Boniface, the patron saint of Germany and Holland. The town has an active community with a town square which holds event s and a twice monthly farmers market, an array of independent retailers along the vibrant high street, several pubs and some real foodie treats with independent bakeries, coffee shops and delicatessens. The town has two supermarkets, two primary schools and a well regarded secondary school with a busy sixth form which has been rated as Outstanding by OFSTED. Thertown has active Rugby and Football clubs, as well as an excellent leisure centre with swimming pool and fitness facilities. The town is surrounded by glorious countryside providing plenty of walks and bike rides.
Lapford os a large village located on the A377 with a population of just under 900 according to the 2011 census. The village is steeped in history, and nearby Bury Barton is thought to be the site of a Roman fort.
The village has an imposing church which dates in part back to Norman times, with many of the wall paintings and plaster being lost in the time of the reformation. Much of the church was rebuilt by William de Tracy of nearby Nymet Tracy as a penance for mudrering the Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Beckett and local folklore suggests the village is haunted by the ghost of Thomas Beckett riding through the village on his way to confront de Tracy on the anniversary of his murder. We’ve never seen his ghost so we can’t comment.
The village has a thriving local pub which is building a great reputation for its a la carte dining using local ingredients. The village also has a local primary school, playing fields and play ground making it popular with families.
Morchard Bishop is a village and parish with a population of just over 1000 according to the 2011 census. The village has a delightful 16th century church, primary school, doctor’s surgery and local shops. The local pub, The London Inn is known affectionately for its generous sized portions of food and was once a coaching stop when the main road to Exeter ran through the village.
Yeoford is a small village with a big community spirit. The village has recently been able to build a new village hall which is well equipped and a great community space. There is an adjoining playing field and childrens park too.
The village has a small, local school which again has a wonderful community with in it. There is a pub with play area and the whole area is surrounded by open countryside. Yeoford is a great village to get to the A30 dual carriageway from which links Cornwall and the M5.